Phantom Naza vs. Standalone Naza/GPS Kit - How do they differ?

halfpress

I had a Phantom for a few weeks and really did love it. Unfortunately, it had an internal meltdown (wiring short, we think), went back and was fully refunded (I have photos if anyone is interested). I was hooked by then and decided that, instead of another Phantom (for now - would still like to own one!), I'd plunge into building a more complex F550. That's been going well, too.

I always assumed the GPS and Naza in the Phantom were likely just the usual pair pre-installed in the consumer-friendly quad's body. It occurred to me today, though, that the landing leg of the Phantom has the compass module fastened to it. I assume the equivalent to that is inside the GPS receiver on the standalone version, correct? That also made me realize the software I used on the Phantom had a somewhat different UI from what I use for my F550's Naza/GPS kit.

Anyone have any additional insights into what about the Naza/GPS units differs between standalone and Phantom? Some of the minor back/left drift problems I've been trying to work out on my F550 in GPS mode never existed on my Phantom, which stuck like a thumbtack in the sky whenever I let go of the sticks. Those differences make me all the more curious...

Thoughts?
- Aaron

Last edited by a moderator: