Rig Upgrade?

Uklealey

Hey there!

I have had the Blade MQx for a decent amount of time now. I bought it to see how interested I would be in this hobby...

It rules.:highly_amused:

I was thinking about the future and rigs to come. I am new to the scene, and don't know much about actually building a copter.
Overall, cost is my largest issue, as I am a full time university student.
I have heard of people building their own frames, is this viable?
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Uklealey

tombrown1

Absolutely you can build your own frame. All you really need are a couple sticks/rods/beams or whatever crossed over like an x, some motors, escs, flight controller, receiver, and battery. There are many build threads on the forums here. Good luck.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The Blade MQX is what got me hooked on this hobby..... When going larger.... designing a frame is the easy part.
A word of caution .......
While you don't need to be a member of MENSA, MultiRotor design is an exercise in multi-discipline engineering design, i.e., Mechanical, Electrical, Aeronautical...
That is why it is often a good idea to start out with a complete system such as the DJI F550 c/w Naza controller.... ( I would reference others but that is the only one I worked with)
When designing, if you are not careful you can end up with a large stock of mismatched, motors, props, batteries, escs etc.
Using eCalc for multi-rotors can help you to narrow in on what you need to purchase when building your own.
There are also rapid new developments occuring, including specialized MR motors up to or beyond 22 pole.....
their shorter but wider diameter profile give you more torque and improved efficiency.
Increase motor radius = increased torque!

Hey there!

I have had the Blade MQx for a decent amount of time now. I bought it to see how interested I would be in this hobby...

It rules.:highly_amused:

I was thinking about the future and rigs to come. I am new to the scene, and don't know much about actually building a copter.
Overall, cost is my largest issue, as I am a full time university student.
I have heard of people building their own frames, is this viable?
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Uklealey

Uklealey

Thanks for your input!
It seems like the DJI F550 is the "go-to" multirotor according to the forums. Mostly because it has everything that you would want/need.

It is funny that you mention the engineering aspect, as I am an Engineering major at my university. Currently I am a prospective Computer Engineer, but it is not too late in the game to switch to Electrical - And I've been having thoughts about it, as it is much more applicable.

The Blade MQX is what got me hooked on this hobby..... When going larger.... designing a frame is the easy part.
A word of caution .......
While you don't need to be a member of MENSA, MultiRotor design is an exercise in multi-discipline engineering design, i.e., Mechanical, Electrical, Aeronautical...
That is why it is often a good idea to start out with a complete system such as the DJI F550 c/w Naza controller.... ( I would reference others but that is the only one I worked with)
When designing, if you are not careful you can end up with a large stock of mismatched, motors, props, batteries, escs etc.
Using eCalc for multi-rotors can help you to narrow in on what you need to purchase when building your own.
There are also rapid new developments occuring, including specialized MR motors up to or beyond 22 pole.....
their shorter but wider diameter profile give you more torque and improved efficiency.
Increase motor radius = increased torque!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Will respond by private message.

Thanks for your input!
It seems like the DJI F550 is the "go-to" multirotor according to the forums. Mostly because it has everything that you would want/need.

It is funny that you mention the engineering aspect, as I am an Engineering major at my university. Currently I am a prospective Computer Engineer, but it is not too late in the game to switch to Electrical - And I've been having thoughts about it, as it is much more applicable.