Question about ESC's for my F450 Build

RobertsUp

Hi, My first newbie build question.

I'm building the F450 avoiding using the stock Dji motors and props which have reliability issues.

I have the F450 frame and will begin building the MR soon. I'll be assembling it with the AMP heavy lifting kit.

The motors are AMP 2814's. My question is about what ESC's I should choose. Are the stock Dji 30 amps adequate?

The stock Dji ESC's don't have wires coming out the ends. Only female bullet connectors and they protrude right from under the
shrink over the circuit boards. Doesn't look like there's any room there to cut off the stock bullet connectors and solder
better connectors.

I want to use carefully selected connectors throughout and people have reported problems with the Dji bullet connectors.
I want to use the Protek gold plated connectors throughout for consistency and reliabilty
What better ESC's would anybody recommend?

I bought only the frame, not any of the ARF Dji stock parts. Knowing I didn't want the stock Dji motors and propellors.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
If you have the 20amp ESC's I would think they will be marginal and you should be looking at a 30 or 40 amp ESC, the 2814 are not monsters but they are still fairly hefty with a max draw up around 30 amps, generally you will not be working close to you max but it is better over do it that under in this case. If you do use the DJI ESC's the bullets should be fine.

RobertsUp

If you have the 20amp ESC's I would think they will be marginal and you should be looking at a 30 or 40 amp ESC, the 2814 are not monsters but they are still fairly hefty with a max draw up around 30 amps, generally you will not be working close to you max but it is better over do it that under in this case. If you do use the DJI ESC's the bullets should be fine.

Thanks, PeteDee,

I don't have any ESC's at all. I'm building the 450 with bare parts from here and there. I have the top and bottom plates now, and two white arms and two black arms. From a different place I got more than enough screws to assemble the frame.

Right now I haven't been able to find spools of wire for making the battery connectors. I don't even know what gauge they should be so you can see I'm weeks away from beginning assembly.

Last weekend my soldering station arrived. Today I got my multimeter, hot air blower, and solder. I haven't even set up my worktable space as yet.

Parts are trickling in. The motors will be here in a couple of days. A tool kit too. I haven't chosen shrink tubing, wire, connectors, or ESC's. + Other things.

The Maytech ESC from AMP is looking good at this point. A little heavy for the Flamewheel but with quality overhead features. What do you think?

Best, Rob

RobertsUp

From further reading today I decided to reject connectors and just solder the ESC's directly to the motors. Today I saw too many videos and discussions of crashes due to connector issues.

Of course I'll make sure the motors are rotating the correct directions before soldering the wires and applying shrink protectors.

My only connectors will be to the battery.

Best to All, Rob

gtranquilla

RadioActive
You won't see a lot of praises on any forum about a product since it is the nature to use a forum to get help with technical issues. The rest are out flying and having fun and don't need the forum. The DJI prop breakage issue is legit. And there are some having issues with the bullet connectors. But the vast majority are having hundreds of flights without incident as in my case so far.... (knock on wood)....

IMHO - you only need to replace the bullets on the DJI stock motors..... nothing wrong with the DJI 30A Opto ESCs..... and I chose not to replace the bullets on my F550..... I spread the springed tabs out though using an x-acto knife so that that fit in tighter.

From further reading today I decided to reject connectors and just solder the ESC's directly to the motors. Today I saw too many videos and discussions of crashes due to connector issues.

Of course I'll make sure the motors are rotating the correct directions before soldering the wires and applying shrink protectors.

My only connectors will be to the battery.

Best to All, Rob

RobertsUp

gtranqilla, thanks for that advice but I'm committed to the path I chose.

I realize there are hundreds out there just enjoying flying their craft worry free. But I'm not. I don't have a craft to fly as yet. Parts are trickling in and I can't even begin building yet so in the meantime I'm spending hours reading about details. And reading about accidents and the causes of accidents. Without having a craft to fly for the next 3 weeks there's still lots of time for me to learn more. And the mQX and the Aerosim simulator continue to entertain and teach. My 450 still needs to be built.

I think I'll buy the Maytech ESC's from AMP since I've received no advice on the matter. They're programmable so I have to learn about that too.

Best, Rob

RobertsUp

Okay this time I'm pulling my hair out over what ESC's to buy. I very nearly bought the expensive ones from AMP and was saved after doing some more reading.

I want 40 amp OPTOs. The Maytechs from AMP each seem to have their own BEC. SBEC? And it turns out that Hobbyking sells ESC's that are the same as expensive rebranded ESC's. Can anyone recommend a Hobbyking OPTO 40 amp? I've looked at what Hobbyking offers and I'm still confused. I also need to match a programming card with the ESC's and find the SimonK thingy and learn how to use it.

Someone wrote there's a difference between the blue line ESC's and the red line. More confusion. This is the first real wall I've crashed into while collecting the components for my build.

I've searched thru the forums enough. I need help. Help! This is making me bald. LOL

Best, Rob

gtranquilla

RadioActive
IMO

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Amp_Multi_rotor_Brushless_ESC_2_6S_OPTO_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__27135__Turnigy_Multistar_ESC_Programming_Card.html
There might be a 40A Turnigy Multistar ESC somewhere as well....

Okay this time I'm pulling my hair out over what ESC's to buy. I very nearly bought the expensive ones from AMP and was saved after doing some more reading.

I want 40 amp OPTOs. The Maytechs from AMP each seem to have their own BEC. SBEC? And it turns out that Hobbyking sells ESC's that are the same as expensive rebranded ESC's. Can anyone recommend a Hobbyking OPTO 40 amp? I've looked at what Hobbyking offers and I'm still confused. I also need to match a programming card with the ESC's and find the SimonK thingy and learn how to use it.

Someone wrote there's a difference between the blue line ESC's and the red line. More confusion. This is the first real wall I've crashed into while collecting the components for my build.

I've searched thru the forums enough. I need help. Help! This is making me bald. LOL

Best, Rob

RobertsUp

Hi gtranquilla. Thank you for your recommendations

I studied the specs for those ESC's and they seem to be the right choice for my build. I need them now so I ordered 4 plus a spare right away. The same time I ordered the Hobbyking tool for reflashing the Atmel board. Also a matching programming card. I've stopped pulling hair but as I bet everybody here knows, a snag always catches and holds onto people's plans.

Hobbykings US warehouse is out of those ESC's. They're on backorder. Their Hong Kong warehouse has 10 in stock. Could be 6 weeks. Dunno. I can't wait.

I'm stuck. And my one week vacation starts in 2 weeks. I had been hoping to have my build flying by the end of my vacation week.

I'll probably order the stock 30 amp Dji optos in addition just so I can have them this week. Every dealer has 'em in stock. (Sigh) More money spent.

I wanted things to be carefully prepared before my craft's first test liftoff. It's a good thing I already planned to have the craft tethered to the ground.

Rob

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I have been ordering many items directly from HobbyKing Hong Kong and receiving them within 3 weeks or less...and with very little shipping costs etc........no guarentees though.... sometimes customs get a bit backlogged.

Hi gtranquilla. Thank you for your recommendations

I studied the specs for those ESC's and they seem to be the right choice for my build. I need them now so I ordered 4 plus a spare right away. The same time I ordered the Hobbyking tool for reflashing the Atmel board. Also a matching programming card. I've stopped pulling hair but as I bet everybody here knows, a snag always catches and holds onto people's plans.

Hobbykings US warehouse is out of those ESC's. They're on backorder. Their Hong Kong warehouse has 10 in stock. Could be 6 weeks. Dunno. I can't wait.

I'm stuck. And my one week vacation starts in 2 weeks. I had been hoping to have my build flying by the end of my vacation week.

I'll probably order the stock 30 amp Dji optos in addition just so I can have them this week. Every dealer has 'em in stock. (Sigh) More money spent.

I wanted things to be carefully prepared before my craft's first test liftoff. It's a good thing I already planned to have the craft tethered to the ground.

Rob

RobertsUp

I have been ordering many items directly from HobbyKing Hong Kong and receiving them within 3 weeks or less...and with very little shipping costs etc........no guarentees though.... sometimes customs get a bit backlogged.

Thanks, gtranquilla.

I'm becoming desperate. I can't wait 3 or 5 weeks for my ESC's. I'll have to buy something suitable from another dealer who has them in stock. And now. Damn the $$. The ones backordered will just be kept in reserve for some future build.

RobertsUp

An update:

I just bought a set of these. I'll have them by Friday.

View attachment 10551

They're already flashed with SimonK. I would presume the best version. We'll see. On the face of it they seem a good upgrade over the stock Dji 30 amp ESC's.

Attachments

• MT40A-OPTO-MK-550x475.jpg
    MT40A-OPTO-MK-550x475.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 364