(intelligent orientation control)

paktazh

hi
I am kind of confused regarding The
[h=1](intelligent orientation control)[/h]when one can use Curse lock
Thanks

smrceo

I am really new to multicoptors..are the IOC modes used a lot? I didnt set it up in my Naza as I think it would cause more issues for me.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII with Tapatalk...spelling will be bad:)

quad flyer

IMHO, it really depends on how you want to fly and at what experience level you are at.
I'm still a very bad pilot and with a multi-rotor it can be very easy to loose orientation especially if its a bit far away and you let it stop and hover.
I've ended up in the bushes at the end of the field one time because I though it was facing one way but it wasn't and when I pushed the sticks it went exactly where I was trying to avoid, 270 degrees of free space and it fly's straight into the bushes :(
This for me is when IOC really helps, I can switch it to "course lock" and pull the stick back and the quad comes back to me regardless of its original heading.
I am trying to improve my flying skills by keeping the bird moving which really does help but once it gets too far away I do still get a bit stressed. For me, IOC is more of a "recovery scenario" than a flying mode.
I do use IOC all the time when I let my young lad loose on the sticks, he finds it great fun, fly forward, fly back, fly side to side, and he (or me) doesn't need to worry which way is "forward"

smrceo

Thats great point. Sounds like a great trainer function. Maybe i will set it up. I setup return to home and figured my loss of orientation response would be flip failsafe...I dont see myself flying the quad LOS much as I built it mainly for fpv...but for training sounds useful.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII with Tapatalk...spelling will be bad:)

glacier51

paktazh:

One question. You do have the GPS fitted correct?

I'm fairly new to multirotors and find IOC a great selling point for new pilots. When flying line of sight(LOS), it's such a confidence builder to know that if you do get dis-oriented, flipping a switch can bring the MR back to you or to a position you can re-orient yourself to it.

The HOME LOCK feature is the one referred to but needs a GPS and good satellite lock so NAZA knows where "home" is. I've never used COURSE LOCK, and only barely understand the function.

I fly FPV now, so IOC isn't something I use, although it is handy even with FPV flying say if your video drops out for some reason.

One other thing I would like to point out and that's the difference between IOC HOME LOCK and a full blown NAZA switched failsafe. The NAZA return to home (RTH) has some great features but you need to remember that those steps NAZA takes to come home take time. Once triggered your MR will stop and hover for a few seconds, possibly climb if its altitude is less than 20m above where you took off from, then fly home, stop again in a hover and very slowly descend to a landing. What happens when you run out of battery during all this?

I once timed a RTH from approximately 400m away and it took my MR 35 seconds to come overhead. I did not time it to landing from the 20m height. But knowing what I now know about IOC, I could have gone to IOC HOME LOCK, pulled the stick back and had the MR overhead probably in half the time. Of course I knew I would be above obstacles coming back even if I had used IOC.

You also still have throttle control during IOC, which you don't have in failsafe RTH, to climb if necessary. Just something to keep in mind.

Ron