Relatively cheap hexacopter for aerial photography?

Marek

Hey guys,

I want to to start doing some semi professional aerial filmmaking. I'm new to multicopters, so I want to built something to practice with and then upgrade so I'll be able to start shooting.

The problem is ... GoPro Quality simply isn't sufficient for me, so I guess I'll have to use Sony NEX-5 which is almost 250g camera.

A friend of mine advised me not to save money on a controller and buy at least DJI NAZA with GPS, but I guess I can afford just controller itself.

Anyway, here's the list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnqMkCs-2g4ldEhiSVZJZ2kxZnpQSFEzdDh1RVBXVVE#gid=0

I would need some advice on how powerful motors would I need and what battery would be sufficient for 10 minutes flight. I'm planning to build just the hexacopter itself and buy gimbal, transmitter etc. once my skills will improve and I'll have some more money. Although I don't want to be replacing any components later on, just adding on top, so I want to make sure the copter will be able to take off fully loaded as well. I estimate complete copter with camera, gimbal etc should have about 2Kg.

Cheers,
Marek

nicwilke

Hi Marek,
If I can advise where not to skimp on money, it'd be motors, props, ESC's, gimbal, radio, batteries and flight controller. Everything else you chose is fine to go cheap on.
For the NEX-5n (I had one on a little hexa) I'd get 8 mins flight time with it on board with 1x5000mah 3s. I was using 10x4.5 props, and small motors like on your list.
Good luck.
Hey guys,

I want to to start doing some semi professional aerial filmmaking. I'm new to multicopters, so I want to built something to practice with and then upgrade so I'll be able to start shooting.

The problem is ... GoPro Quality simply isn't sufficient for me, so I guess I'll have to use Sony NEX-5 which is almost 250g camera.

A friend of mine advised me not to save money on a controller and buy at least DJI NAZA with GPS, but I guess I can afford just controller itself.

Anyway, here's the list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnqMkCs-2g4ldEhiSVZJZ2kxZnpQSFEzdDh1RVBXVVE#gid=0

I would need some advice on how powerful motors would I need and what battery would be sufficient for 10 minutes flight. I'm planning to build just the hexacopter itself and buy gimbal, transmitter etc. once my skills will improve and I'll have some more money. Although I don't want to be replacing any components later on, just adding on top, so I want to make sure the copter will be able to take off fully loaded as well. I estimate complete copter with camera, gimbal etc should have about 2Kg.

Cheers,
Marek

Last edited by a moderator:

Marek

So are there any components on my list that you think are too cheap? I'm new to multicopters so don't really have a clue about prices. But I guess the radio on my list is a bit too cheap, isn't it?

Thanks.

Personally, I think you went too cheap on EVERYTHING except Naza and maybe frame if you want to use this for Aerial photography with a camera like the nex5. This might be a good intro multi to see if you can fly, but you will end up rebuilding everything soon after if you stick with it. I am not saying it won't work, but you are adding to the danger factor of parts failing and will chase problems from going with cheapo components (vibrations, breaks, etc). I started like this and ended up with a bin of junk in my garage, so I made the same mistake. You will most likely have to get better props after these break mid air, which will lead to more damage. I have never heard of that brand battery and chances are it won't last long. If this is long term, you should really stick with a name brand radio (Futaba 8fg, Spektrum, at the very least Turnigy). I would stay away from motors with the Collet prop adapters and go with a bolt on prop adapter like those found on tiger motor or avroto or axi. Also, a 3mm shaft won't last long. My advice, read through the forums for a couple of weeks. I bet you will end up seeing the best results coming from common parts like apc props, Gensace batteries, turnigy speed controllers (or similar off brand), Avroto or tiger motors. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the learning experience! It is addictive.

Marek

Ok, so I've spent a few days researching others builds.

I really want to avoid replacing parts as much as possible so I came up with a solution to build a tricopter with powerful motors. In this case I suppose I can learn how to fly, maybe fly GoPro with some crappy gimbal just to practice shooting and if everything goes well, few months later I'll buy another 3 motors, ESCs, proper gimbal and make it a Y6 multicopter that could handle NEX-5, maybe even Canon 550D?

What do you think? Here's the new list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnqMkCs-2g4ldHdDYkxKSkpVWWJSWDZCeHBtNzRTcmc

By the way, is it going to be possible to mount 6 motors on this frame in the list?

EDIT://
Damn .. I just found out that DJI NAZA doesn't support tricopters.
So, I've changed the list to 6 motors and 6 ESCs.

Last edited by a moderator:

CRGxxx

Hi, I am in a similar situation.

I need to lift a max of 800 grams and achieve 10 mins flight time. My budget is £2000.00 stirling. I appreciate this may need to change a little but I hope to get something I can build on. Ie I'm not to worried about every gadget straight away so long as I get the main functions.

I have been told an f550 could do the job with mods then told it wouldnt, I was then told a BOT ti-qr thingy would do it then told it wouldnt. Now I feel like i often talk to people who dont know what they are on about and have lost confidence in any advice a shop gives at all.

I am also unclear which items are essential to the build and feel the shops like to keep me in the dark about all this so I dont realise how much they make on the build.. So

I am capable mechanically and I.T wise so have decided to self build with a little help from a local pro when it comes to setup, prop balancing etc.

Can somebody advise a suitable machine while also listing all items I require to get basic functionality now with the option to easily upgrade.

I have been told an s800 would be perfect although way over my budget but, if I self build could it be somewhere nearer my budget??

Apologies for the rant & Many Many thanks in advance...

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The reason the shops probably don't give you a clear picture is because there are so many variations and combination of what is out there and for what you need and it is your good self who must decide what you need. The absolute bare minimum would be (in my opinion at least):

QUALIFICATION if you intend to gain anything for your work be it cash or beer etc (if this is to be included in your budget then you have already nearly blown it) I assume though that quals are not part of this specific budget
Airframe
ESCs
Motors
Props
Flight Controller (look at the legislative requirements for this if you are planning to make gain from your filming eg a go home failsafe setup is required in the UK)
Batteries (4 sets required if you wish to fly all day with minimal breaks).
Transmitter (only need 1 if taking stills or video from a pilot's perspective but you will need to have 2 transmitters if you wish to have full control of the camera in the air because this cannot be done safely by one person unless the aircraft is static at the time of shooting but even then this is not something I would advice)
Battery charger
Power supply for battery charger
Video transmitter
Video receiver
Small screen for video receiver
Gimbal
Battery for gimbal if the gimbal is 360 pan (most don't have a slip ring system ie they cannot use the flight pack)
Tools (if you don't already have them of which I reckon you will need at least 1-4mm alan keys, soldering iron (at least 80w), computer, heat shrink various sizes, velcro, thread lock, screwdrivers, needlenose pliers, wire cutter/stripper, double sided sticky tape.

Other things you may wish to add in the future
Cases
FPV camera along with 2nd set of video transmitter/receiver/tv screen (helps line up shots, increases safety etc)
On Screen Display
Spares
FPV trays for your TX and screen
Tripods for screens
etc etc, this bit of the list can go on for miles, literally!

Hopefully you get the picture. From this I hope you will see that £2000 is a very tight budget especially if you intend to build the safest machine (note that I am not saying the best machine here at all). To be within this I would say that you will end up buying very cheap components. Nothing wrong with this at all but remember, especially if working your aircraft, you are responsible for the overall safety of each flight and in an incident you will need to justify your full decision process etc if you get investigated.

As far as I am aware, and I have built for a shop in the past, they do not make a massive amount from the build at all. At times it might seem expensive but these things do not build themselves and to build a rig to a professional standard takes a lot of time unless you like birds nest wiring and something that looks as if it has just been thrown together.

Personally, given the questions in this thread I think the best thing to do here is build a cheap quad that can take a Gopro. Use this as your learning platform both from a build and flying perspective. This can be done really cheaply and I guarantee that the money you spend on this little project you will more than make up for in savings by NOT learning so much on a bigger rig.

Just my thoughts and nothing definitive

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I can tell you your idea of using what you have to build your bigger rig next will never happen.
i’d just get a known flyer, heck look at the classifieds here or on RCG. guys give away quads and hex’s all day. Learn to fly on that and just keep it as a basher rig. it’s always good to have a basher rig to keep your thumbs limber even after you have your real AV rigs.

Once you get into the groove and start to build a real AV rig, I guarantee you anything that was on your start rig will not be adequate.

Learn from others mistakes... expensive mistakes....

CRGxxx

Wow thanks for being so speedy.

I have been using a pre built machine for a while and have been getting to grips with it.
And yes certification will come later... I am saving a separate budget.
I live in the country and do not have plans at the moment to fly in crowded or built up areas.

My system will not require a gimbal or separate transmitter.
I work with wires all day and am confident I can keep things tidy.
I have most tools required.
I have computers.
I have tablets.

Like I said I am willing to look at upping the budget but I just want a clear picture of what it is I really need to safely lift 800 grams.

Many thanks

CRGxxx

Great suggestion sleepy c.

I will return my mates phantom back to him, buy a second hand kit machine and get some fixing experience.

Will any components be transferable to the av rig?
ie, flight controller or transmitter.

Cheers

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Personally I can’t stand the Naza flight controller, so for a larger rig, I would not recommend that. if you are die hard set on DJI I’d look in to the Wookong, or a Xaircraft SuperX if you really want to use the same FC in a larger system. This is just my opinion, and others love the Naza, but to me it’s very robotic and choppy and not suitable for AP/AV work. (especially in wind)

And honestly that’s about it. Most smaller rigs take 3 - 4S, most larger rigs take 6S.
motors are completely different as is ESC’s.

The real deal is, og course you could make a cheaper rig work, but if you are serious, you can;t have a “it sort of works most of the time machine”. You would want a rig that is dependable and works the same everyday. That is why the gap from “hobby” price to “commercial” price is so high. You are paying for reliability, high QC standards and superior materials.

CRGxxx

Your advice makes a lot of sense.

I'm not set on DJI at all and to be honest I know nothing about controllers at all.
When it comes to the craft I love the look of the droidworx machines but that really is based on nothing more than looking at websites etc.

Can you recommend a good rig to carry 800 gram load for about 10 minutes?
Do you think the Droidworx BOT will do the trick?

Thanks again