Local Motors and Airbus Group announced the winners of the Airbus Cargo Drone Challenge

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Today, Local Motors and Airbus Group announced the winners of the Airbus Cargo Drone Challenge. This was our most popular challenge ever, with 425 submissions from members of the LM co-creation community.

Check out the Zelator, by Alexey Medvedev of Omsk, Russia, which won first place in the Airbus Main Prize.

zelator.jpg

Airbus Main Prize
1st: Alexey Medvedev from Omsk, Russia for ZELATOR
2nd: Harvest Zhang from Mountain View, California (United States) for Volans
3rd: Dominik Felix Finger from Aachen, Germany for Minerva

Cargo Prize
1st: Finn Yonkers from North Kingstown, Rhode Island for SkyPac
2nd: Harvest Zhang from Mountain View, California (United States) for Volans
3rd: Alexey Medvedev for ZELATOR

Community Prize
1st: Frédéric Le Sciellour from Pont De L’Arn, France for Thunderbird
2nd: Finn Yonkers from North Kingstown, Rhode Island for SkyPac
3rd: Harvest Zhang from Mountain View, California (United States) for Volans

These winners will share in the prize pool of over $100,000 - Congratulations!

The speed and innovation of the LM co-creation community impressed Airbus Group and showcased the creative potential from the power of the crowd.

“This is exactly what I hoped for when we kicked off our cooperation with Local Motors early this year. It is a totally different way of capturing innovation and ideas and represents our next generation,” said Airbus Group CEO Tom Enders. “I am truly impressed by the results and congratulate our winners. The ideas who an outstanding mix of passion, imagination, innovation and ingenuity. I am optimistic that some of these ideas could find their way into future industrial programs at Airbus and represent a new, bold step forward in the era of unmanned flight.”

Local Motors Co-founder and CEO Jay Rogers, who is no stranger to the creative potential of co-creation, was thrilled with the results of this challenge. “The Airbus Cargo Drone Challenge proved that the Local Motors community of makers and innovators reaches far beyond the bounds of automotive design. We received a record number of submissions, and the quality was astounding. As a result of this challenge, Airbus has seen a great example to do development more quickly and at a far lower cost.”

Airbus will work on commercial drone services and applications with these winning projects, and together, we’ll also host a hack-a-thon in Berlin this September to determine possible business services for drones.

Congratulations once again to the challenge winners, and thank you to the LM co-creation community for your outstanding work!

Attachments

• zelator.jpg
    zelator.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,475

Old Man

Was wondering who ended up owning the rights to the creations myself. If Airbus and Local Motors, it reinforces my belief that a lot of engineers are naive, or a little central in their thinking.