Introduce Yourself

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
So to get to know the staff as well as the users here please let use know alittle about yourself.

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
I'm Paul, I've been flying R/C Aircraft from micro to giant scale aircraft, I consider myself to be an expert at building and flying. I started in "drones" about 6 years ago, I designed and build my own heavy lifter and gimbal and started a aerial photography company Skyvueap.com. I'm also the former owner of CNCzone.com and have a design and manfacturing compnay. I know CNC machining and have designed and built many of them.

I'm also produced a line of aircraft "Airfoilz" for over 10 years. For the past 11 years I have owned and run a local hobby shop 3dxhobbies.com and now NJdroneSchool.com which I hold building classes as well as do repairs on drones. Looking forward to helping out wherever I can.

My name is Roger. I am a formally trained cinematographer and visual FX artist. Camera has always been my passion. I also enjoyed flight sims since I was a kid. I was introduced to multirotor RC just over a year ago. I met an aerospace engineer who built and designed his own multirotors. He put me through months of rigorous one-on-one flight training. Afterwards, I was confident enough to go ahead purchased my Inspire 1. I furthered my education and went on to become certified through Drone University USA.

I have since shot great footage, great photos, done aerial mapping, and participated in SAR missions. I registered my machines, reserved my N number, 333 pending, and anxiously awaiting Part 107.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 329

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Hello there, Petr here. After being an RC hobbyist for a few years (surface and airplanes), I read an article about this Czech aerial photography company called Vertical Images (these guys are my friends now, I went to visit them last year) and was sold on the idea. My very first drone was Traxxas QR-1, which was one of the first micro copters to show up on the shelves. Shortly after I build my first "real" copter (DJI F450) with 600TVL camera and 1.2Ghz downlink, and I spent a lot of time FPVing this nice machine. Many copters later, I am amazed at how this industry has evolved over a shockingly short period of time. I helped Erick Royer launch the Multirotor Pilot (first drone magazine in the US), and now have fun being part of Drone Vibes and Drone Vibes Podcast. I also have my own aerial photography and video business. I enjoy exploring and learning new techniques, and currently work on a couple of really exciting 360degree photo and video projects.

Hello there, Petr here. After being an RC hobbyist for a few years (surface and airplanes), I read an article about this Czech aerial photography company called Vertical Images (these guys are my friends now, I went to visit them last year) and was sold on the idea. My very first drone was Traxxas QR-1, which was one of the first micro copters to show up on the shelves. Shortly after I build my first "real" copter (DJI F450) with 600TVL camera and 1.2Ghz downlink, and I spent a lot of time FPVing this nice machine. Many copters later, I am amazed at how this industry has evolved over a shockingly short period of time. I helped Erick Royer launch the Multirotor Pilot (first drone magazine in the US), and now have fun being part of Drone Vibes and Drone Vibes Podcast. I also have my own aerial photography and video business. I enjoy exploring and learning new techniques, and currently work on a couple of really exciting 360degree photo and video projects.
Excellent! I'm going to check out your 360 pano article next! My closest colleagues are deep into VR. In the Bay Area we are on the bleeding edge. I've been wanting to fly 360 GoPro camera rigs ever since I started flying. Now there are pocket consumer 360 cameras! Can't wait to hear about your latest projects. If you ever are on the west coast, I'd be happy to be your sensor op or assist at the least. Thanks for your responses!
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,399

Jay C.

A little late on this post, but my name is Jay and I'm living down in the great state of Texas. I am fairly new to the RC world, which I entered out of pure curiosity. I started flying an Ares QX 130 series and bought the Blade 350 QX3 soon after. I am learning post editing using the Adobe Suite, and mainly Lightroom. A few weeks ago I purchased a Phantom 3 Pro and let me tell you, I'm having the time of my life. I love learning about the technology and I aspire to build my own FPV setup. I fly every chance I get, including going out for disc golf after work with the co-workers with my camera in tow, on lunch, and every permissible weekend morning. Talk about awesome. I would still consider myself a beginner compared to most of you guys. I have learned in leaps and bounds, and in no small part because of the podcast, of which I have listened to at work from beginning to end. I hope to see this community flourish, so that we all may share our experiences and learn from each other. Thanks for everything so far and keep it coming!

maxx4wd

Hello...my name is Tony - I've been modelling since I can remember - started off in the usual manner with some ground based RC stuff - finally venturing into the air a few years ago...now I fly a nice mix of planes and multirotors mostly - On the planes side I love 3D so I try to venture out and throw my fleet around as much as time will allow - I have everything from the flat foamie for front yard fun to large scale run-way required variants - I have not ventured into gas although my entire club is almost entirely gas for the larger scales...just like electric better for now. On my multirotor side I enjoy the micro fpv freestyle type flying as well as the large scale cine flying...actually for the larger scale stuff I really love being the camera operator over the flying but won't complain about either...a bit of background...I am an engineer by trade but a rc and car nut by desire...I've always taken crap apart and most likely put it back together again...I enjoy building but would rather just fly. I run a side business called "Elevated Image Solutions" (mostly aerial inspections, mapping, etc. for my main engineering business but we do venture out for the odd commercial job here or there). I also enjoy filming the kids whenever possibly and crave the flight time whenever I can squeeze away from my 3 young kids on the weekend. I would say that my flying and filming skills are far superior to my camera skills but hopefully will bridge the gap quickly. I love helping others and am generally pretty knowledgeable in most areas surrounding the hobby so hopefully I can contribute and help those starting out. Nothing is better then getting someone up on their own for the first time...anyhow...happy flying!!!

Hey everybody,

I'm Ian, a photographer and videographer living in Encinitas, CA. Found the podcast a while ago and just got up to some of the later episodes so I thought I'd check out the site. Great stuff so far and it's nice to find a forum that isn't full of outdated tech posts!

I've only been flying a few months, with a Flamewheel and a Phantom3, but I've really been enjoying it so far. Really itching to try some fav racing, but I've been busy just getting as much footage as I can in my general neighborhood. And, I just did a short film which features a drone as a character, and entered it into a local film festival. Hoping to share it with you guys here soon!

While I make my living as a stock and commercial photographer, I'm still waiting on my section 333. Boo. But I am toying with the idea of getting a pilots license, as a lot of my LA friends have been asking me to come shoot on their projects up there.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@Ian McDonnell , welcome to Drone Vibes, great to hear about your film, can you share it here? The pilot's license and 333 take time and money (mine took 5 months from filing date, and the flying lessons ran me close to $7k). Quite frankly, it opens up some opportunities, but it also makes it a bit difficult to compete with people who don't have any of these expenses or limitations. If you have any questions about the process, don;t hesitate to ask. Cheers!

Hey @Petr Hejl - I'll definitely post a link to the film after the festival, and will let you guys know when the prerelease is available (it's going to be part of a Kickstarter campaign). Both of those are a month away, so it'll be a bit.

As for the license and 333, well I'm at month 3 since filing so hopefully not much longer. I'm debating the small plane vs hot air classes so I'm sure I'll hit you guys up for info later. I'm curious why you think it makes it difficult to compete - are your rates higher and that's causing it?

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@Ian McDonnell , yes, in some segments of the market. Since the consumer machines are getting pretty capable, there is a flood of "professional aerial photographers" in RE and some other lower market segments. The 333 exemption itself has a lot of limitations, and the amount of admin work associated with it is just insane (in many cases you spend more time trying to get all the permits to be in compliance than you actually spend flying). Add the cost of license, insurance, and equipment re-investment, it's hard to compete with people who do this part time for $50 a project.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Haha @Petr Hejl - that's the photo/video world in a nutshell! :)
Yep, the soccer mom with an SLR again, with an aviation component to it. No worries, as I said, it's just some segments of the market, I'm actually perfectly fine with doing some less RE work, lol. I just put it out there for people who are debating spending a ton of money on 333 and a license.

maxx4wd

my only restraint from getting our 333 is that once the FAA finally gets their ducks in a row (next year maybe - I don't believe for a second that they'll make this years deadline - they haven't made any of the rest and looks like they'd rather focus on other areas of the industry) then mostly likely only a version of ground school will be needed and not any of the flight training...a group of us are already doing training classes for local governments and schools to provide this service once the FAA finally settles on what hoops they want us all to jump through - all we'll need to do is update our curriculum and re-cert any of our current trainees

Honestly, in my mind, it's almost a waste of time to complete the 333 unless you have a specific client that requires it. There isn't a law that or other regulation to even substantiate the claims that the FAA are making let alone enforce anything but safety issues. I'm no lawyer, and I'm not trying to derail this thread but I really haven't seen much concrete evidence to justify the 333. The only real reason is probably just to do it so you don't have to deal with the FAA but ironically you're probably openning yourself up to the looking glass with the submittals. Having worked professionally with all sorts of federal and state agencies in the engineering world...all I know is that unless there are concrete laws - it's pretty much the wild west. We are going through with our 333 as we are going to be getting a ton of flying jobs with NOAA and some of the naval bases doing experimental UAS stuff but honeslty if we didn't have clients that demanded it...not sure its at all worth it for the placeholder in line once the new regs come out.

(sorry for the rant - please let me know if I'm missing something)

Luke

Hey guys! Self-proclaimed geek when it comes to all things computer, tech and RC. I'm a computer programmer by day, but also an avid surfer and beach bum. Relative drone beginner looking to expand my knowledge and skills. I'd like to become a better pilot, and take some rad video and stills of interesting landscapes especially around my home area of San Diego. Always looking to network and make new friends. - Luke

maxx4wd

Welcome Luke - I'm just north of you - should have some fantastic spots to film down your way...if your ever up this way a group of us flies almost every weekend for fun and there's always room for more to join...

muavdrones

Hello this is Zuppa,
We manufacture our own ZUPPA autopilots which completely designed by us from scratch and all coding is done by us.

Our unique core technology that goes into creating ZUPPA products makes it possible for “ Anybody to Fly Any type of Drone “ both fixed wing and multicopters.

Last edited:

BenWhoFlysFast

Hiya folks.
I am a professional pilot with over 18 years experience flying all over the world. I have flown lots of different aircraft including float planes, small twins, military jets and high performance turboprops as well as large civilian airliners.
RC wise I have had cars and made the step into quads about two years ago. I am mostly into aerial videography, but I just bought a racing quad so hoping to move into FPV flying soon. I have been cutting videos together since 2005 where I made a few formation aerobatic clips using the then version of Adobe Premier.
Working all over the world and in some decidedly non-drone friendly countries means I don't get to fly as much as I would like but I enjoy the podcast and look forward to where Erick and Petr, and the wider podcasting teams take us in the future.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Hello @BenWhoFlysFast , thanks for joining us here. My flying adventures had a little different "flow", I first got into RCs (racing short course trucks), then flying RC airplanes, added multirotors when they started showing up, and now I added full scale (well, light sport). What's your favorite airplane to fly? Do you do drones for business, or a hobby?

BenWhoFlysFast

Hi Petr,
float plane flying was really good fun and not without its own unique challenges. Getting away from the dock was one of those, you had to push off with enough force to clear the dock but not too much so that you weren't able to make the jump onto the float. Apparently many a pilot had gone for a swim doing this.
My favourite aeroplane was the Pilatus PC9 the single engine turboprop trainer used by several airforces around the world. It is a really capable plane with 950 shaft horsepower and a top speed of 320 knots. My favourite type of flying is formation flying. We would do formation aerobatics including loops, barrel rolls and combat formation - much like a tail chase. It's challenging flying but very rewarding.
I now fly drones as a hobby but once I am back full time in the States I am hoping to start a small business flying drones (part time). Amazing advances have been made in such a small time and there are some very exciting possibilities. I think there is a future where drones, full size aircraft and the FAA can all co-exist, and continued education on all sides will make this possible. Hopefully the media will calm down and not continue it's current bias - it seems drone flying is viewed in much the same light as Rock and Roll was back in the 50s. It's corrupting our youth!