making a quadcopter from scratch

photojunky

I think it's awesome that you are taking the initiative to do this on your own and just figure it out. That is the best way to approach it!

If I can give you one tip that might help save a few bucks, look into using G-10 fiberglass while you are still experimenting. This would be in place of the carbon fiber plates. It's nearly as strong and light and a LOT cheaper. Check out McMaster Car to find some, just search for G-10. It's also called Garrolite sometimes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grade-g-10-garolite/=142ye80
I just looked at that site you recommended. What thickness do you use, 3 / 16?

photojunky

Today, I received a 3 mm sheet of carbon fiber. Gotta love Amazon Prime. Tomorrow I will begin cutting and drilling. I will basically be using the 1 mm sheet as a template. The 3 mm sheet it far stiffer and should work much better. I will be using the two 1 mm sheets for the undercarriage. I cant decide if I am going to use Gorilla glue or resin epoxy to bond them together. The Gorilla expands and becomes almost like a hard foam. The Gorilla glue will hold but I am wondering if it will help cut down on vibration. I think I am going to rest the booms on a cork gasket and not carbon fiber on carbon fiber. Anyway, I feel a lot better about using the 3 mm carbon fiber sheet vs the 1 mm. When I am done we will take bets on whether or not it will fly.

photojunky

Well, I am moving right along but hit a snag. You would think if you pay $50 dollars or so for some motors and motor mounts, one of the two would come with the bolts to secure them together. Oh well, hopefully I will be able to find them in the states and not have to wait for the Chinese to ship them, of course they will be half price but I am in a hurry. I have not tightened the mounts yet as you can see in the photo.
motorbolt.jpg
bolt2.jpg

Attachments

• motorbolt.jpg
    motorbolt.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 1,251
  • bolt2.jpg
    bolt2.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 1,206

They have different grades of metals at the big box stores. Don't remember which way the scale goes but the hardware guy should know. I usually use their nylon lock nuts for prop nuts that NEVER come loose.

photojunky

This is what it is going to look like, but first I am going to take it apart and use Loctite and all the bolts, and then start the wire harness.

DPP_1977.JPG
DPP_1978.JPG
DPP_1979.JPG
DPP_1980.JPG
DPP_1981.JPG
DPP_1977.JPG
DPP_1978.JPG

Attachments

• DPP_1977.JPG
    DPP_1977.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 1,352
  • DPP_1978.JPG
    DPP_1978.JPG
    324.8 KB · Views: 1,342
  • DPP_1979.JPG
    DPP_1979.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 1,335
  • DPP_1980.JPG
    DPP_1980.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 1,343
  • DPP_1981.JPG
    DPP_1981.JPG
    490.4 KB · Views: 1,339
Last edited:

photojunky

Check out my homemade quadcopter's first flight. Finally. Plan on doing some fine tuning with the way the carbon fiber tubes sit on one another, but am quite pleased with the first flight.