Best transmitter and receiver for a newbie

bobspryn

Seeing recommendations for the turnigy 9x, 9x pro and the taranis frsky. The frsky seems way more expensive, but I see a lot of people pushing for that.

Literally my buddy and I have no idea what we are doing, and brand new to just about everything RC related.

Also some people are plugging additional modules into the back of their transmitters for... extra range or something?

bob195558

bob195558
With the 9XR-Pro you will still have to purchase the external FrSky XJT transmitter module and the stick Gimbals in the 9XR-Pro are not very good (may become unreliable). Some people are doing mods to install Taranis Gimbals in there 9XR-Pro radios.
The Taranis-Plus comes an XJT module (internally already) and it also has the JR-external module bay in the back and comes with 3 position switches and some more stuff too like a much larger display screen.
For the Taranis I use erSky9x on Taranis instead of opentx firmware which erSky9x on Taranis can do some thing that opentx can not do, though opentx is a very good firmware too.

The Taranis is a better deal in the long run when you compare between the two.
I will say for the 9XR-Pro, it is on sale at Hobby King now, and I think its sale price is around $56.00 or so plus the Shipping (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Radio_Transmitter_Mode_2_without_module_.html).

Bob B.

Last edited:

$60 isn't a lot of cash for a radio. You wouldn't be out a lot if you decide this hobby's not for you. If you do decide that you really want to pursue this you will find yourself wanting to upgrade to the taranis eventually. The taranis has resale value where as not so much for the turnigy. The only question is will the turnigy preform well enough for what you want it to do.

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
For me it's Futaba, I have used every radio under the sun for me it's Futaba, IMO Taranis is a toy radio you get what you pay for. Mind you my aircraft I fly cost from 100 to 10K, so I'm a little bias.

Paul-H

Everyone is always quick to recommend the Taranis but a beginners radio it is not, like most of the open software out there in the RC world they can be extremely complicated, with the requirements of so many different people built in. They are a bit like a radio built by a committee ;).

Watch some of the programming videos on YouTube to see if as a beginner this will be good for you.

The OP did ask for a good beginners radio after all and the Taranis is not one of those.

bob195558

bob195558
Hi bobspryn,
Futaba radios are good, but they cost a lot more and can be very difficult to use.
I understand how some people like and trust produces that they are very used-to using all the time.

Opentx and/or erSky9x are open-source firmware's which have great support and have many advantages.
With you being a software developer you may enjoy (as part of this hobby) working with the open-source firmware which is and has been causing companies like Futaba to try to keep up with the new features that are being added (upgraded) to Opentx, ErSky9x and Er9x firmwares.
If you have not yet, you may want to visit (http://openrcforums.com/forum/index.php) as this is a very good place to receiver info and help.

Bob B.

OldGazer

I beg to differ. I've been flying off on on for 26 years. I've had Futaba, JR, Airtronics, Fly Sky, and Taranis.

I use a Fly Sky TH9x with a FrSky XJT module to fly my 250 racer and I can swap in a stock Fly Sky module when I want to yank and bank my X-525, but when I break out my x-666 EnduroQuad or my Tarot 680 Pro AP platform I reach my my Taranis X9E.

I have always wanted a tray, but they have always been WAY out side of my budget. The X9E, sells for less than half the price of a Jeti DC-14. I get up to 32 channels, fully programmable, supports JR style internal modules, LCD and OLED displays, full telemetry support using FrSky Smart port sensors, or if you run a Pixhawk you can use a MavLink to Smart Port interface and have every thing displayed on the main display.

When you actually look at one, and then compare the functionality of a Taranis to a similar radio at the same price point, the competition always comes up short. I compared radios from JR, Futaba, Spektrum, Walkera, Radio Link, Fly Sky, Turnigy, Tactic, and Hitec. NOT ONE of these brands had a radio that even came close to matching the functionality of a Taranis, and none of these brands makes a tray style radio. For me, choosing a Taranis X9E was a no brainer.