Hoverfly Quadcopter yaw to the left (hoverfly sport)

Hello,

The other day I was flying my quad and after 40 minutes, it started to act weird and crashed.
Good thing it was about 1/2m high :D

It started to yaw to the left out of nothing and I haven't been able to find the root cause.

I checked the ESC calibration, all 4 ESC's looked fine.
I replaced the 4 motors with the spare ones I have... same thing, it doesn't get fixed.

I decided to re-test the ESC's, this time I used 2 new spare ESC's and the it keeps doing the same thing.
Replaced the power distribution board, nothing happens.
Propellers are in the right direction according to the manual

Now I'm thinking it's a problem with the hoverfly Sport :(

Anyone has ever had a problem like this?

Check out the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-OQWql9MfM

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Tono

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm very new to the sport board. So far it flies very smooth. When you say flies for 40 minutes do you mean after a few batteries?

I did notice that there was a weird noise that sounded like a knocking noise. I can't figure out what it's from. Motors are brand spsnkin new tiger 2216's and using 9" graupners with 30amp plush esc. I thought I was flying over a piece of loose plastic on the ground the way it sounded. Any ideason what would cause this. I didn't check the settings on the escs only calibrated throttle all at once.

I just bring this up because you got me worried it may act up after something warms up.

@IrisAerial, correct, after a few ones.
That day I used 2 5300mAh gens ace batteries and 1 5000mAh Turnigy.

@S11D336B, I'm not sure about the exact weight to thrust ratio, but it weights around 1300+ grams with the battery on and I'm using 10x4.5 props on 880Kv RCTimer motors with 3S batteries.
In this test, I was using a 2200 3S battery but it does the same thing with a 5000mAh battery.

The weird thing is that I was flying it perfectly for around 40mins, all of a sudden, it started to move like that and had to ground it. Good thing it wasn't very high or going too fast, it was just hovering smoothly.

I even changed the receiver antennas for new ones, and then changed the whole receiver with a spare one I have.
I'm using a Futaba 7C radio with the R617FS receiver

I will check what's on the link you provided: https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21447258-throttle-range-setup-for-hoverflypro

If nothing change,I will mount the APM to discard a flight controller problem and mount the HFSport to another frame to see what happens.
I'm puzzled.

Regards,

-Tono

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
On the sport do you have to calibrate the gyro only, what about temp? I get 4 beeps when I start up but it flies very well.

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
There's no calibration for the Sport at all. All of the calibrations are to support autoleveling and GPS functions.

On the sport do you have to calibrate the gyro only, what about temp? I get 4 beeps when I start up but it flies very well.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
So the obvious next question, is what are the 4 beeps i get? Maybe normal but i am not used to that. The thing is gonna be a handful to fly fpv. even though it seems to fly better than the naza in manual mode it is no comparison in smoothness, especially altitude/throttle control to the Naza. I am honestly kind of scared to take her away via FPV. It flies really smoothly but like a SRH, it reacts very quickly to false input. Guess I'll just have to give it a go as it is all setup.

Aerovideo

On the flight where it started to go bad was your battery low? I've had some REALLY weird yaw behaviors when I've used older batteries that dip a little low after flying. I've since learned to mark those batteries and just use them on the bench for testing.

May not be your problem but thought I would mention it.

@Aerovideo, right, on that last flight, the battery could have been near to get a bit low, but still, the low voltage alarm wasn't emitting any sound or showing red LED's or anything.
Takes about 15 min to get a 5300mAh to low voltages. Just for safety I fly each battery for 12min.
But, I have tested other batteries, I have plenty of them, and it always yaws to the left with all of them.
I'm about to start testing the quad with the APM, I just don't like the idea of tuning the APM PID's. That's why I like the Sport, just plug and play. I just hope it is not a HF Sport problem.

@IrisAerial, do you have a HF Sport or a Pro?
For the Sport, you don't have to calibrate anything, as I mentioned by S11D336B, just plug and play. (well, obviously, RTFM is a must :D )

-Tono

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
It should fly similarly to the HoverflyPro with everything turned off. It should be mostly hands off if you have the correct gains set.

So the obvious next question, is what are the 4 beeps i get? Maybe normal but i am not used to that. The thing is gonna be a handful to fly fpv. even though it seems to fly better than the naza in manual mode it is no comparison in smoothness, especially altitude/throttle control to the Naza. I am honestly kind of scared to take her away via FPV. It flies really smoothly but like a SRH, it reacts very quickly to false input. Guess I'll just have to give it a go as it is all setup.

Well... I just mounted the APM with the same components I have been using with the HF Sport, and it hovers, it won't yaw to the left.
I will re-build my old frame with the HF Sport to double check if there is something wrong with it.
But until now, it all looks like the HF Sport died while on the air. :(

Well, I disassembled everything again, and while inspecting the motors, I noticed that one of them was missing a C-clip.
Put it back, tested it with the APM and I was able to hover without modifying the PID's.
But I wanted to confirm if the problem was the HF Sport, so, put it back to the quad and it started to fly like a charm again.
So, i guess that was the cause of the problem in mid air... I lost a C-clip of a motor.
In other words... the Hoverfly Sport is OK.

Thank you all.

Regards,

Tono